Submit a sitemap to Google Webmaster Tool is a 2nd most important step after submitting a website in GWT.
It works like an index page of a book and helps google search engine to find the path of website content including page priority, last modification date and time.
By default WordPress never create sitemap.xml file for a website, you have to create it by yourself. To do this, use a very popular plugin name “ Google XML Sitemaps ” from wordpress website.
Click here to download
After installing, activating and configuring your new plugin, visit to google webmaster tool to submit sitemap.
Here are complete steps to follow:
- Login to Google webmaster tool with gmail id ( click here to login ),
- From Google webmaster tool dashboard, click on the site that you want to add a sitemap,
- In left side, go to “Crawl == Sitemaps”
- From right side, click on “ADD/TEST SITEMAP”
- Then type “sitemap.xml (for Google XML Sitemaps Plugin)” and click on “Submit Sitemap”
- When it done, website is ready to get indexed by Google.
Note: Indexing a new website in google search engine is completely depending on Google BOTS / Spider. It can take 1 hour to few days to get index.
To know your site is indexed or not, visit www.google.com and type site:www.yourdomain.com
If your website is indexed by google, will show you some result.