A step by step WordPress Child Theme Development Tutorial from BN WEB DESIGN. In this tutorial you will learn how to develop wordpress child theme, Upload, Install and Activate.
WordPress Child Theme Development – Benefits
- Easy to Edit WordPress theme core files,
- Easy to recover from Accidental Damage,
- Easy to update and
- Show your expertise in WordPress.
WordPress Child Theme Development – Create
1. Create a new folder and name it child (you can use any name),
2. Create a new file inside child folder and name it as style.css,
3. Open newly created style.css file and add this below code:
/* Theme Name: Child of Twenty Twelve Theme URI: URI to your theme Description: Twenty Twelve child theme with a twist or two Author: Your name and a link to your site Version: 0.0.1 Template: twentytwelve */
4. Important: You need to type exact wordpress parent theme name as like as it is. Otherwise child theme will not work properly.
* To find WordPress parent theme name go to wp-content/themes. You will find the theme name.
5. Save style.css file.
6. Copy index.php file in child folder.
WordPress Child Theme Development : Upload & Activate
1. To upload newly created child theme, you need to zip WordPress Child Theme folder. If you are using Windows operating system, then right mouse click on child folder > go to send > Compressed. A new zipped folder will create.
2. Login to your WordPress Admin Account,
3. Navigate to Appearance > Theme > Add New > Upload,
4. Click on Choose file
5. Select Wordpress Child Theme zipped folder and click on install
6. After Installation, click on Activate.
7. WordPress Child Theme will activate.
You can download WordPress Twenty Twelve Child theme from below box:
[wpfilebase tag=file id=2 tpl=download-button /]